VINTED: Episode 15
Wine Label Do’s and Don’ts: How to Leverage Printing With Expert Stephan Martinez
In This Episode…
The print and design world is constantly growing. As technology evolves, so do the processes for label printing companies. However, there are some important steps you should follow if you want to successfully navigate the printing space, avoid common pitfalls, and craft a beautiful label for your brand.
For over 13 years, Trysk Print Solutions has used the latest technology to collaborate with design houses and allow people to differentiate their brand visually. According to Founder Stephan Martinez, wineries and producers need to ask specific questions and think about the printing and design process holistically. Are you consistently using the same container? What environmental factors could affect the label? Will this label and design withstand shipping conditions?
In this episode of VINTed, Scout Driscoll talks with Stephan Martinez, Founder of Trysk Print Solutions, about the do’s and don’ts of wine label printing. Stephan discusses how the printing industry has evolved, shares advice for winemakers and producers in the printing process, and explains the importance of conveying brand intention through your design.
This Episode’s Featured Guest
Stephan Martinez is the Founder of Trysk Print Solutions, based in Seattle, Washington. Stephan has been in the label space for over 25 years with a focus on wine and spirits. He appreciates the nuances of the craft and enjoys pushing the boundaries of technology to help packaging evolve and grow with consumers’ tastes.
“That’s the one secret I think a lot of people misunderstand about the print world: the printers that are at A-level… are looking holistically at the project. We’re not just looking to make the label that you send us. It’s, ‘Does it fit? Does it stick? What’s the coating on the bottle? What’s the panel, is it conical?’ So that’s where we fit into that equation.”
Here’s a Glimpse of What You’ll Learn
Key Episode Takeaways
- Stephan Martinez talks about Trysk Printing Solutions and how the industry has evolved
- The mistakes many wineries and designers make that could lead to a whole re-engineering of the label
- Stephan’s advice to first-time winemakers and producers
- Why hiring a consultancy and assembling the right team is important for crafting a great label
- Stephan describes the current and future landscape of the printing world
- Why Stephan advises against certain materials for a wine label
- How to increase sales through your label: be honest about your intentions
- The value of curating your own market
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Scout Driscoll on LinkedIn
- Stephan Martinez on LinkedIn
- Trysk Print Solutions
- Email the team at Trysk: email@example.com
- Rob Griswold on LinkedIn
- Grady Hillhouse | Practical Engineering
- Laurie Millotte on VINTed
- John-Paul Grogan on VINTed
- Rob McMillan on VINTed
- Nicole Walsh on VINTed
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by VINT wine branding and design, where rich storytelling meets smart design.
At VINT, our studio goes beyond the label, guiding wine brands through strategic branding and packaging evolutions. Our work with Cooper’s Hawk has helped them grow the nation’s largest wine club to over 450,000+ members. Some of our favorite label designs have included Cooper’s Hawk collaborations with winemakers like John Charles Boisset, Ernie Loosen, and Francis Ford Coppola.
What makes VINT unique is our zero ego, Midwestern work style, our all-woman team, and our 20 years of experience in consumer brands across industries.
Learn more about VINT at Vint.Studio.
For a free label audit for your brand, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.